This monument marks the still-standing Daggett Garage. This well-preserved building holds a lot of history to both this local area and Route 66 itself.
Daggett is one of the oldest towns in the entire Mojave Desert. When the Santa Fe railroad arrived in 1882, Daggett began as a major railroad town. Because of the railroad, it was a supply point for many desert outposts, including the mining camps of Death Valley. Mining from mid 1880s through the 1890s also pumped up the size of this once mighty town. However, by 1900, mining activity faded and Santa Fe moved railroad operations to Barstow.
The garage was built in the 1880s as a locomotive repair shop for the narrow-gauge railroad that ran between Daggett and the Calico Mountains to serve Frances Marion Smith’s borax mines. Daggett was also a hub of transport activity during the silver mining heydays of Calico between about 1882 and 1898. The garage saw a lot of activity during those years.
It was moved to its current location in 1912 by Seymour Alf, who would later be employed to grade the initial roadbed for The National Old Trails Highway from Barstow to Needles. This road would later become Route 66 in 1926. Today, the building is privately owned.