A great museum, a rich film tradition, a Wartime army base, and so much more!
Scenes around Victorville:
By Sharon Foster
In 1858 Aaron G. Lane came to the High Desert and created the hamlet of “Lane’s Crossing”, which for many years provided the shelter and supplies for the people making the journey across the desert from the east to San Bernardino. Lane’s Crossing was on the Mojave River just north of where the river crosses Interstate 15.
About 1895, the village was named “Victor” for the California Southern Railroad’s General Manager Jacob Nash Victor. In 1901, the U. S. Post Office changed the name to Victorville to avoid confusion with the town of Victor, CO.
In 1926, the Highway U. S. Route 66 was begun, and it passed through Victorville. Today the former route is known as D Street, Seventh Street and continues down Interstate Freeway at Palmdale Road. Route 66 is the primary street in Old Town Victorville (both D Street and 7th street).
1940 Herman Mankiewicz and John Houseman wrote the first two drafts of the script of the film CITIZEN KANE at the then thriving Green Spot Motel.
1941 The construction of the Victorville Army Field Airfield began and became George Air Force Base in October 1947. In 1992 the base was closed and the facility was turned over to other uses.
The city of Victorville was incorporated in September 1962.
In 1995 the California Route 66 Museum open its doors in a small facility on D Street and has become one of be most know facilities on the Route for its exhibits and old town hospitality.
For many years the town was the site of the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum, but was moved to Branson, MO in 2003.
OLD TOWN VICTORVILLE
A controversial revitalization project started in 1995 in the ten square blocks along Historic Route 66. After years of setbacks in developing Old Town, the city – along with input from the residents and local business owns – created an Old Town Strategic Action Plan in 2007. In 2008, demolition on hazardous and dilapidated buildings began. In 2010, as the economy declined, the redevelopment agency was eliminated and the city no longer had funding to continue the projects